Untangle U50 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untangle U50 Performance

I purchased a used U50 for my home, have been a user for many years now. I saw that the Firewall rating was only 450mbps? Does that mean if I use it on my 1gb fiber it will slow it down? Thanks again for your reply. -Jason

Performance depends on a few factors, and varies depending on what features you are using, what's being done on the network etc. It also depends on the box itself with regards to the processor and the RAM available. The u50 is from 2017/2018 and yes, datasheets at the time showed 450 Mbps for firewall throughput. Turn on Web Filter, Application Control and IPS and performance would be less. Here is a good reference for NG Firewall performance considerations: https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...formance_Guide
    Heather P
    Arista Edge Threat Management Team

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Does that mean if I use it on my 1gb fiber it will slow it down?
      Sadly, it's very likely that it will. As Heather points out, the u50 is more than five years old at this point, but beyond that: the u50 wasn't a high-end performance device to begin with. Once you've got some NG Firewall apps running, processing overhead increases pretty rapidly and you'll notice an impact to throughput. It may be possible to get more than the stated ~450 Mbps figure, but probably not with any NG Firewall applications running.

It's worth noting that at the time the u50 was current, internet connections capable of more than 500 Mbps were fairly uncommon! That particular platform was intended for a small-business or home-office context, so at the time it didn't really need to be powerful enough to handle that much throughput without noticeable overhead.
      Græme Ravenscroft • Technical Marketing Engineer
      ('gram', like the unit of measurement)
      he/him
      Please don't reboot your NGFW.
      How can we make Arista ETM products better?

Comment

Unless you work from home and have large data transfers via VPN, there is NOTHING you do from home other than the speed test itself that will ever saturate a 450 Mbps link.

So yes, technically it will slow down the connection. But as a practical consideration your experience will be identical to the full gigabit service. In fact, do your wallet a favor if it's an option and drop down to the 200 Mbps tier. It will be pretty much indistinguishable from a 1 Gbps link, even for heavy-use homes. I promise.
        Last edited by jcoehoorn; 11-29-2022, 10:33 AM.
        Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5.2 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Comment

Originally posted by jcoehoorn View Post
          Unless you work from home and have large data transfers via VPN, there is NOTHING you do from home other than the speed test itself that will ever saturate a 450 Mbps link.

So yes, technically it will slow down the connection. But as a practical consideration your connection will be identical to the full gigabit. In fact, do your wallet a favor if it's an option and drop down to the 200 Mbps tier. It will be pretty much indistinguishable from a 1 Gbps link, even for heavy use homes. I promise.
          Pretty much agree with this completely, I've got about 50 devices online, IoT, a few servers, lots of media kit and my 150 MBps connection (UK) it's absolutely fine. That's using pfsense, untangle or currently Sophos XG

Comment

Something else to consider. For full disclosure, I do still have gigabit at home for the moment, because I'm in a trial period with the new fiber ISP in the area. But based on speed tests I know at times this ISP is only able to actually give me about 200 Mbps. Most of the time it's higher, but during high use periods there's really only about 200 Mbps available. So it's not always your gateway that limits you.

Even more than this, knowing I sometimes only get 200 Mbps I have my QoS rules in Untangle set even a little lower. I'll never get more than 190 Mbps on my gigabit connection, even though my home appliance is perfectly capable of much higher speeds. Remember: QoS only works properly when it is the limiting factor on the connection. If your ISP can only actually give you 200 Mbps at times, and you want to be able to guarantee things like streaming data, voip, video calls, or games are given appropriate priority during those times (when it matters most), you have to set your base QoS limit below that.
            Last edited by jcoehoorn; 11-29-2022, 10:34 AM.
            Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5.2 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

Comment

In the US anything over 200mps is vanity and unrealistic. But yes, the u50 is based on an Intel Atom CPU and I honestly think 450mbit is optimistic. It's not uncommon for platforms like that to stop at 200mbit. It just depends on what sorts of filtering you're doing.

Getting an appliance that can actually push gigabit IS NOT EASY. It means a strong CPU, at least an i3 equivalent, 16gb of RAM, and good solid NICs sitting on a PCIE bus that can handle it. Upper end appliances are the only realistic option, home brew stuff will choke here on any desktop grade hardware, because of PCIe bus limitations.

But again we're back to anything over 200mbit not really being useful functionally in a home environment. Once you've got your arms around that, you can save a ton of money with better expectations.
                Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate
                NexgenAppliances.com
                Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
                Email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X